CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Military Medical

So frustrated.

Back in November I went to the doctor for pain. Female pain. Six weeks later, they finally got me in for an Ultrasound. By then my pain had subsided and I didn't know why they wanted me to get a U. Well they didn't find anything (big surprise). Monday night I went to the ER for pain in my right side. It started out as a stomach ache, right around lunch time. I was at work, so I couldn't do much about it. By the time I released my class at 3pm, I had unbuttoned my pants and pulled my shirt over the top of my pants and put on my buttoned up trench coat so that my pants didn't feel tight on me. (Sounds bad, and probably could have gotten me fired since I work at a school.... but I had to, I was in pain!)
I went home and lay down on the couch. Danny emailed and told me to go to the doctor's office before they closed and I said no, they won't do anything.
He came home around 5:30 and told me I should go to the ER. I was resistant, but he had appendicitis 4 years ago and told me that the way I described my pain sounded like what he experienced. . . so we went to the ER. Immediately, this is what the ER doctor thought I had. Dr. Shepard ran tests, got me into ultra sound, got me a CT scan, and finally, gave me morphine. The best drug in the world, by the way. Around 11:30 they had a shift change and I was left with a Dr. Gray. She was pretty much absent the whole time and I didn't meet her until I was discharged at 2:30 in the morning. I saw a lot of the nurses though and made good conversation with them every time I got another dose of morphine. They kept me posted on what they knew was going on, even though they're not supposed to report information to me I asked anyway and they would tell me what they knew.

Finally at 2:30 I get my results, full scale. I have a cyst growing on my ovary. Its 7cm (almost 3 inches) and hasn't ruptured ... yet. Here's what they tell me about large cysts:
They are painful (DUH)
They can burst and cause more pain and damage to the ovary.
They can twist the ovary, cutting off the blood supply.
The ovary can die.

Why tell me this when I'm high, tired and can't think clearly? UGH. I couldn't ask any questions because I was trying to wrap my head around the fact that I have a 7 cm cyst on my ovary.

If the ovary gets flipped or twisted, I have 6 hours before the ovary dies to have surgery to correct this and to remove the cyst.

She said, "At this point... we're not going to remove the cyst."

WHY NOT?

"But here's some vicodin for the pain. You shouldn't drive or go to work when you are taking vicodin."

So I didn't take vicodin and I was at work at 8am the same morning. I didn't want this stupid cyst to ruin my life. It was a bad idea to go to work though and I ended up leaving at 1:15, being replaced by another substitute teacher. My bad. Sorry Jennifer...

Today I woke up feeling ok, but after sitting on the couch for a little while watching some stupid tv shows I started to get that throbbing pain again. So I took vicodin this time. Pain hasn't gone away yet but I only took it about 10 minutes ago.

I'm just really upset that they aren't going to remove my cyst. What is wrong with them? I may not be able to have children if this cyst messes up my ovary. I know I have another one but... chances are if I get cysts on one ovary they come up on the other one too. *sigh* I've got to admit.. I'm scared.

3 comments:

Delene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delene said...

Vanessa, they are iditots here. Go back either to the ER or OB and demand help!!
I'm sorry your hurting.

Judy Buckner said...

Try to get an appt. with Dr. Perkins. She is excellent!